High Hedges Guidance
A hedge is a line of two or
more evergreen trees or shrubs. If you and your
neighbour disagree about a hedge, we may be able to
If the height of a hedge is stopping
you from enjoying your property, we may be able to order the
hedge's owner to trim it. However, we do not negotiate with the
owner of the hedge on your behalf.
When you submit a complaint to us, you must be able to show that
you have already tried to negotiate with your neighbour, but
Please do not submit a complaint without first reading:
Making a formal complaint
If things do not improve, you can then
submit a complaint to us. Please fill in a complaint
The fee to make a complaint is
If you receive means-tested benefits, we may
be able to refund half of your fee. To claim your discount, please
fill in a discount form,
available from the link here or at the bottom of the page.
What we do
We will check that we have everything we need to look at your
complaint: your form(s), the fee, and the details of your
If everything is right, we will invite your neighbour to respond
to the complaint. We will also visit to measure the hedge and
If we are able to take action, we will send your neighbour a
remedial notice, which will say:
- what they must do; and
- when they must do it by.
What we cannot do
- Enforce a legal limit for hedge height (because there isn't
- Automatically take action against any hedge over two metres in
- Issue a remedial notice for every complaint.
- Issue Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs) about hedges.
- Take action against deciduous trees (those that shed their
leaves in the autumn) or single conifers.
- Order the complete removal of a hedge.
- Guarantee access to uninterrupted light.
Telephone: (01902) 696000
Fax: (01902) 696403