Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your services  >  Legal and Public Health Protection  >  Food Safety  >  Registration and approval of food businesses



Food premises registration & approval


registration of food businessesWhat is registration?


Registration of a premises used for a food (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and mobiles) is required by law.


Registration will allow local authorities to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in their area so they can visit them when they need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of premises.


Link: Who needs to register?



How do I register?


By completing the online form or by downloading a form to complete and return to the Food & Safety Team at South Staffordshire Council.  Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge. If you use premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

You must tick all the boxes which apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all the information requested. Please make sure that whatever form you complete to register your business; you include a contact number and email address so we can get in touch with you.

After you have submitted the form we will enter the details on to our food business database and a business file will be created.

Once you have registered with us you can start your business. It is your responsibility to comply with the law and provide safe food. If you are considered a ‘higher risk’ food business then we will arrange to carry out an inspection shortly after you have registered.
If you are considered a ‘low risk’ business, an inspection will not take priority and may take several months before we come to inspect you.

We have also provided advice for new businesses which you may find useful.

Following an inspection, your business will be risk rated and awarded a Food Hygiene Rating on the Rate my Place  scheme. Click here for further information on food safety inspections.

Please note that details of your food business will be passed to Staffordshire County Council Trading Standards Department for their records.




Once you have registered you need to notify the Food & Safety Team where there has been a change of proprietor, where the nature of the business changes, if the business moves address, or where there is a change of the address at which movable premises are kept. To notify us of a change you should complete a new application form.


Failure to Register a food business or notify significant changes is an offence.


Public food premises register


A register of name of business, addresses and the type of business carried on at each will be open to inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided are subject to data protection laws and will not be publicly available.


Please note every effort is made to ensure that the details printed within the register are correct at the time of compilation and updated on a regular basis.

The register of food premises can be downloaded here.

Please note register of childminders are excluded.



Premises Subject to Approval


If you intend to make, prepare or handle food of animal origin (e.g. meat, fish or dairy) for supply to other businesses, then the food business and its activities in most circumstances will require what is known as approval. Further information on the approved premises process can be found here.


Food businesses that need approval before they are allowed to operate are those that:

  • sell most, or all, of their food to other businesses such as retailers, cafes, restaurants, pubs; and
  • produce products of animal origin, which are defined as:
  • Minced Meat and Meat Preparations
  • Meat Products 
  • Live Bivalve Molluscs 
  • Fishery Products 
  • Raw Milk and Dairy Products 
  • Eggs and Egg Products


Please be aware that if your food business does any of the following you will need a licence:


  • Sale of alcohol (on or off the premises)
  • Late night refreshment (sale of hot food and drink between the 23:00 hours and 05:00 hours)
  • Regulated entertainment (includes plays, films, some sporting activities, music)
  • One- off events (temporary events notice) for any of the above


See the licensing pages for more information on the type of licence you may require.




External Links


Electronic copies of the main European Regulations relating to food businesses can be viewed by the following links:


PDF Document: Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs


PDF Document: Regulation (EC) No 853/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 laying down specific hygiene rules for food of animal origin




Food & Safety Team

Telephone: 01902 696220



Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov