Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your services  >  Legal and Public Health Protection  >  Environmental Protection  >  Noise Pollution


Noise Pollution


It is indisputable that noise is all around us.
It can be very comforting, for example, birds singing, but there are occasions where noise can become annoying, and there are certain circumstances when you may want to complain about the noise.
Before you contact the Council we recommend that you approach the noise–maker and try to resolve the problem between yourselves. It is often our experience that the person making the noise is unaware of the impact it is having on other people and are upset that the Council has become involved rather than being approached privately.

taking your own action leaflet coverWe have produced a leaflet on taking your own action. Click on the image (right)

and it will open in a new window.


If this approach is unsuccessful, or you are unable or unwilling to approach your neighbour, the Council will investigate the complaint.


The Law


The Council has a legal responsibility to investigate noise (as well as other nuisance) complaints under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
The Council has a policy to try and resolve these complaints informally in the first instance, but where a nuisance is established, a formal abatement notice would be served on the noisemaker, requiring them to stop the noise.
In extreme cases, where the noisemaker fails to take heed of the notice, a prosecution can be taken out in the magistrates' court. If convicted, an individual can be fined up to a maximum of £5,000. Where the offence is committed on industrial, trade or business premises, the maximum fine is £20,000.

Other Work


Also as part of its work to minimise the impact of noise on the local environment the Council:-
  • Gives advice to other Council Departments, the public and commerce on issues relating to noise.
  • Advises the Regulatory Committee of the Council on the impact of noise on, or from, proposed new development.


Further Information


Further information on the problems associated with neighbourhood noise, barking dogs, loud music, DIY Noise and burglar alarms is available elsewhere on the site. The links below may provide useful information regarding general enquiries.
We have also provided a number of leaflets about our services which can be accessed on the links below.


How to Access this Service


To report a noisy neighbour please complete our online reporting form.


If you have any specific concerns regarding noise pollution in South Staffordshire, please contact a member of staff using the following details:


Environmental Protection Services
South Staffordshire Council
Council Offices
Wolverhampton Road
South Staffordshire
To contact a member of staff by telephone or email, please see the details below. You can also make a general complaint regarding noise through the Pollution Complaint Form online.

Service Standards

We have adopted a set of standards for the provision of this service. You can find out more about these service standards by following the link below.



Report a Noisy Neighbour

Pollution Complaint Form


Internal Link: Information on Neighbourhood Noise

Internal Link: Information on Loud Music Problems

Internal Link: Information on Barking Dogs

Internal Link: Information on Burglar Alarms

Internal Link: Information on DIY noise

Internal Link: Information on Noise from Licensed Premises


Service Standards




There are no associated costs for requesting information or making a complaint regarding noise pollution.


Main Contact


Environmental Protection Services - noise

General Enquiries
Telephone: (01902) 696000
Fax: (01902) 696222



Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov