Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your services  >  Legal and Public Health Protection  >  Environmental Protection  >  Housing Enforcement  >  Action on Repairs & Poor Housing


What Should You Do




If your property is tenanted and you think the condition of your home is affecting your health, inform your landlord of the matters concerning you, preferably in some written form and give him the opportunity to do the repairs/improvements.  If your landlord doesn’t respond or you feel the work done has not remedied the problem you should contact the Council and ask to be put in contact with the Legal & Public Health Protection section to speak to an Environmental Health Officer – (01902 696220) who will make arrangements with you to dealt with the problem.



Owner Occupier


If you are concerned about a problem with your property you can call the Council and ask for the Legal & Public Health Protection section  and ask to speak to an Environmental Health Officer (01902 696220) who will be more than pleased to discuss the problem with you and, if necessary, call at your property  and give advice and details of agencies that may be able to help you.




If you are unsure of your responsibilities under the 2004 Act or want advice as to how well your property meets the Acts standards please call the Council’s Legal & Public Health Protection section and ask to speak to an Environmental Health Officer (01902 696220)  where an officer will discuss the issues you have and if necessary, visit the property with you in order to offer further advice.


Landlords responsibility under the Housing Act 2004


Landlords have many responsibilities for providing a hazard free property for tenants, but by fulfilling this role effectively will give the very best opportunity of attracting quality tenants and reducing the possibility of the property standing empty for long periods.


In very general terms the following items give a guide to a landlord’s responsibilities under the 2004 Act.


What is the landlord responsible for?


The safety of gas and electrical appliances.

Ensuring that the property is fit for habitation

Repairing and keeping in working order the room and water heating equipment.

Verify that all new furniture complies with regulatory levels of fire resistance as set down in Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988.

Gas appliances must be checked by a qualified Gas Safe registered professional on an annual basis.  The certificate must be retained in case required for examination.

Keep the structured and exterior of the pro9perty in a good state of repair.

Ensure that hot water installations, water supply, washbasins, sinks, baths, showers, toilets etc are safe and fir for use.  Provide adequate lighting heating and ventilation.

Keep informed of changes to regulations by joining groups such as the National Landlords Association or a landlord accreditation scheme run by your local authority.

Know the current legislation and keep yourself updated with changes and advances.


Food safety covers sinks, draining boards, work tops, cooking facilities (or cooker points and space for cooking facilities), cupboards and/or shelves for storing cooking and eating utensils and equipment.  It also includes food storage facilities (which these days are usually just electricity sockets and refrigerator space).


Ventilation covers elements such as airbricks, trickle vents, opening lights to windows and mechanical and non-mechanical equipment.


Space and water heating installations covers any kind of fitted space heating appliance(s) or central heating system.  Moveable heaters provided by the occupier are not included.  Installations for heating water cover any kind of fitted water system for providing the instant or stored heated water.  Kettles and other appliances of that kind are not included.


Property is suitably secure against intrusion.


Landlords Check List


Before the tenant moves in:-


Ensure the property is clean and habitable.

Make sure instructions are on all relevant appliances.

Make sure all relevant equipment is labelled correctly.


When the tenant moves in:-


Provide the tenant with a current gas safety certificate and maintenance book.

Demonstrate the workings or relevant equipment.

Explain how to use safety equipment and extinguishers.

Provide an Emergency contact number

Provide a full set of keys


Local Authority Enforcement Powers


South Staffordshire Council is committed to working closely with landlords/partner organisations in providing housing advice and assistance, so seeking to maintain the quality and condition of the area’s housing stock by active informal means.


Where informal action fails to bring about the necessary improvements to remedy Category 1 hazards then formal action will be used to ensure repair/improvement work is done, charges will be made for all formal action taken, costs will include both administration and officer time.





 Tenant Leaflet - Poor Housing  Landlord Responsibilities under Housing Act





Housing Advice
Telephone: (01902) 696000
Fax: (01902) 696222
Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov