Try our new website
Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your services  >  Community Safety  >  Anti Social Behaviour


Anti-Social Behaviour                                                            


What is anti-social behaviour?


The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 defines anti-social behaviour as acting in ‘a manner that causes, or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.’


In other words, it’s any form of behaviour which has a negative impact on your quality of life. In reality, anti-social behaviour spans a whole range of offences from fly-posting or littering to persistent disorderly behaviour and drug-dealing.


Some examples of anti-social behaviour are listed below;Graffiti

  • Litter, rubbish and fly-tipping
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Nuisance neighbours Intimidation and harassment
  • Rowdy behaviour
  • Street drinking
  • Aggressive begging
  • Crack houses and drug dealers
  • Prostitution and kerb crawling
  • Graffiti and vandalism
  • It can be caused by people of all ages and from different backgrounds, its not just confined to young people. 0115 - stokes fly tip


What can I do about anti-social behaviour?


The two most important things you can do are to report any issues to either Staffordshire Police or South Staffordshire Council and record any incidents of anti-social behaviour you see. You can contact us by telephone, email or letter.


Keep a diary of the issues that takes place. Make a note of the dates, times, people involved and what behaviour is occurring. Without this kind of written evidence, it can make it difficult for the authorities to act.

Be prepared to take responsibility and report what you see. Often the more evidence you give, the more we can do about the problem.


How do South Staffordshire Council respond to a complaint of anti-social behaviour


Firstly we need to establish if you rent or own your property. If you rent your property from either South Staffs Housing, Bromford Housing Group, or Accord Housing we will pass your complaint to your housing provider for them for investigation.


Once we have established that you own, or privately rent your property, we will then ask some questions about you and others to establish the nature of the ASB.


If the dispute involves a neighbour we will ask if you have spoken with them about the issue. We will not intervene until you have tried this first. It is always better to try to resolve the issue by talking with them.

South Staffordshire Council will then send out diary sheets on which you can record the dates, times etc of when the ASB occurs and ask you to return these after 2 weeks.


However if the ASB is significant and/ or we assess you are potentially vulnerable, we will share the information with other agencies such as Staffordshire police, before we receive the diary sheets back.


Once the sheets are returned, the ASB will be investigated and in some cases you will be visited at home. Other agencies that may be able to help resolve the ASB will be informed of the issue but you will be informed and updated regularly on the progress of the investigation.


In certain cases, mediation can be a way of resolving issues but this depends on the type of ASB and will be determined on an individual case basis.


The Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 , includes new powers to help tackle ASB


The following tools and powers were introduced in 2014 to address anti-social behaviour. These include:

•        Community Trigger

•        Community Protection Notice

•        Public Spaces Protection Order

•        Closure Power

•        Dispersal Power

•        Community Remedy

•        Civil Injunctions

•        Criminal Behaviour Order


For more information on the new powers, click here.


Help and Advice


  Agency to Help Contact Telephone Number Type of Behaviour

Staffordshire Police


All non-emergency calls to Staffordshire Police ring 101


In an emergency dial 999



101 (non emergency)


999 (emergency)

Rowdy/ nuisance behaviour including:


  • Street drinking
  • Noise nuisance
  • Criminal damage/ vandalism
  • Intimidation/ harassment
  • Drug/ alcohol misuse
  • Off-road nuisance biking
  • Inappropriate use of fireworks
Council Logo South Staffordshire Council 01902 696000
  • Litter
  • Rubbish
  • Fly Tipping
  • Dog Fouling
  • Graffiti
  • Abandoned Vehicles
  Registered Social Landlord or South Staffordshire Council

South Staffordshire Council

01902 696000


South Staffordshire Housing Association

0800 096 8690


Accord Housing Association

0300 111 7000


Bromford Housing Association

0845 6050 603


Sanctuary Housing Association

0800 131 3329


Heantun Housing Association

01902 571100


Midland Heart

0345 60 20 540

  • Noisy Neighbours and neighbour disputes




The Community Safety Team

Browse services
A-Z of services
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov