Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your Council  >  Parish councils  >  Trysull & Seisdon Parish Council

 

General Information
Population
Total Population  1,077 (2004 Estimate)
No. Over 60 24.5%
No. Under 18 20.4%
No. BME Below 2.4%
Indices of Deprivation  
Area KM2 3,150
Population Density KM2 0.341
Locality Five (Click for more information)
 Financial Information
Annual Budget  
Annual Precept £17,800.00
Grants Received  
Spending per Resident  
Average Council Tax Band £32.52

 

 

Trysull & Seisdon As It Is Now

 

The parish is a compact area, situated, for the most part, in the shallow, broad valley of the Smestons Brook. The A454, Bridgnorth to Wolverhampton road forms the Horlkirn boundary, upon which three large garden centres are situated. A portion of the western boundary forms the county boundary with Shropshire.
 
The two villages are about one mile apart but function as one unit. Seisdon, the larger of the two is a compact unit whilst Thysull has a mile long, linear, form. The post office and garage are actually situated Seisdon but the parish church, village hall, primary school, sports pavilion and playing field are in Trysull.
 
There is little employment in the parish, most finding employment in the neighbouring West Midland conurbation and Wombourne. The Smestons Industrial Estate situated in the South Eastern Corner of the parish in a disclosed quarry and pipe works houses various enterprises.
 
Farming is mainly arable, with pasture for a few sheep but mainly horses. There are two public houses in Trysull, one in Seisdon and another two on the outskirts of the parish.
Most of the housing is post 1945, however there are several notable buildings, the earliest C14 but mostly C17-19.

 

 

Brief History Of Trysull & Seisdon

 

The feudal estates of Trysull and Seisdon, listed in the Somerday Bork, are Anglo Saxon in origin and lay within the Seisdon Hundred. This administrative body met in the open, probably in the fields known as the “Musters”. Post Conquest the two estates were held “in captive” by William Fitz Ansculf and subsequently tenanted by local families. By 1633 both estates lay in the hands of the Bvottesley family, the ownership passed slowly into other hands, the last portion being sold in 1929.
 
The common field system of farming ended in Trysull by mid C17 following private enclosure acts and the exchange of common pasture with the Vicar of Wombourne in lieu of hay tithe. Five common fields existed in Seisdon until the end of the C18 with the concomitant enclosure of Seisdon Common.
The C11 hamlets grew slowly, until prior to 1914 they were self-contained with parish church, church hak, pubic houses, shops, a bakers, two post offices, two corn mills, blacksmiths, wheelwrights, boot and shoe makers, friendly societies, a sprinkling of professional people and a few “gentry”.
 
These were several small charities for the relief of the poor, now merged into the Thomas Rudge Educational Trust and the Parish Charity. The latter recently built four replacement almshouses.
 

For greater detail see Victoria County History of Staffordshire Vol. XX

 

 

Links

 

External Link: Trysull & Seisdon Parish Council

 

Contact Details for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk

 

Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests and Other Interests

 

 

Awbridge & LockSeisdon Manor

 

Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N
O P Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov