Perton has a supermarket, various small shops, two pubs, a
community centre, church, library, three schools - Perton Middle
School, Perton First School and Sandown First School, medical
centres, dental surgeries and a golf club which also has bowls and
There is local access to the M54 and M6 providing easy travel
by car to anywhere in the country. Nearby Wolverhampton is on the
main Western north/south rail route with a regular service to
London taking less than 2 hours.
Brief History of Perton
The old site of Perton lay on the south facing slopes from
Perton Ridge to the Bridgnorth Road and it was here that a
particular type of pear was grown. Earliest records of Perton
indicate that the manor was owned by Edward the Confessor (who died
in 1066) and in 1086 by the Abbot of Westminster. The manor of
Perton was held by the Abbey until 1162 when it was lost to the
crownwho passed it to Lord William Perton.
In 1260 the manor was held by John de Perton, heir to Lord
William, in return for eight days knightly service to the king in
his wars in Wales. A warren was an area specially set aside for the
rashing of rabbits. In these days rabbits were regarded not as
pests but as a useful product of farming and the granting of free
warren to John de Perton meant that he had hunting rights for small
The manor passed among many prominent kings: Sir Humphrey
Stafford, Lord Willoughby de Broke and Sir William Compton until
1523 when it was sold to James Leveson a Wolverhampton merchant. It
was then passed to his grandson Sir Walter Leveson. His son and
heir was Richard Leveson a sailor aboard the Ark Royal in the Royal
Navy and fought against the Spanish Armada. He became a Commander
and Sir Richard was knighted in 1596 after playing a leading role
in the Navy's attack on Cadiz.
He achieved many successful attacks against the Spanish and was
appointed Vice Admiral of England in 1604. Vice Admiral Sir Richard
had married in 1587 but his wife Magaret had become insane and was
confined to one of Sir Richard's houses, Oxley Hall, near
Wolverhampton. Sir Richard courted a Mary Fitton who was a maid of
honour to Queen Elizabeth 1 and who later became his mistress.
Perton Manor came into the Wrottesley family in 1662 when Sir
Walter Wrottesley purchased it from Richard, Earl of Dorset.
Until the 1960's Perton and many of the farms in the area were
part of the estate of Lord Wrottesley whose seat was at Wrottesley
Hall. Then one of the Lord Wrottesley successors sold off the land
and went to South Africa.
External Link: Perton Parish
for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk
Register of Disclosable Pecuniary
Interests and Other Interests