Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your Council  >  Parish councils  >  Lapley, Stretton and Wheaton Aston
 
General Information
Population
Total Population  2,529 (2004 Estimate)
No. Over 60 19.5%
No. Under 18 23.3%
No. BME Below 2.4%
Indices of Deprivation  
Area KM2 5,463
Population Density KM2 0.462
Locality Two (Click for more information)
 Financial Information
Annual Budget £91,963 2015/16
Annual Precept £80,745
Grants Received  
Spending per Resident  
Average Council Tax Band £59.99
 
 

Lapley, Stretton & Wheaton Aston As It Is Now

 
The Parish of Lapley, Stretton & Wheaton Aston is situated to the north of South Staffordshire with the A5 as its southern boundary. Of the three villages Wheaton Aston is the largest with approximately 800 houses, having been developed from the mid sixties.
 
The village has a few shops, post office, restaurants and pubs, doctors surgery, first school, children’s play area and village hall.  Local organisations including brownies, guides, sea scouts, and youth clubs exist for younger members of the community along with WI, Wives groups, keep fit and yoga classes, and many sports groups.
 
St Mary’s Church is a grade II* listed building in the village conservation area.  The Shropshire Union canal passes to the north of the village.
 
Lapley is a compact village of around 80 houses.  It is a pretty village mostly covered by a conservation area centred around the village green.  All Saints Church is a grade I listed building.  Lapley has an active residents group who organise local events.  The village has been a winner in South Staffordshire in the Best Kept Village competition on many occasions.
 

Stretton has changed very little over the past 50 years.  Stretton Hall is a grade II* listed building and its grounds are designated as Historic Parkland.  Vernon Lodge Preparatory School and Kindergarten now occupies the site of the old village school.

 

Brief History Of Lapley, Stretton & Wheaton Aston

 

Lapley is mentioned in the Domesday Book.  One of the earliest events was the foundation of Lapley Priory in about 1162.  During the English Civil War there was a skirmish when Lapley House, which was garrisoned by the Parliamentarians, was seized by Royalists from nearby Chillington. This event was commemorated in 1993 to celebrate the 350th anniversary with a re-enactment staged by members of the Sealed Knot Society. 

 
Stretton has Roman remains and is thought to be the site of the roman settlement Pennocrucium.  Remains of a roman fort are to be found at Stretton Mill.  Thomas Telford’s Shropshire Union Canal was opened in 1835 and the aquaduct dated 1832 crosses the A5 (Watling Street) in Stretton.  Stretton Hall is the seat of the Monckton family, who bought it in the latter 18th century.
 
Mrs Anne Monckton built the village school in 1860 to house 40 children.  In 1885 it was enlarged to take 70.  The population of Stretton fell following the First World War when many local lives were lost and the way of life changed.
 
In 1777 there was a major fire in Wheaton Aston in which 19 thatched houses were consumed, from that time on there has never been another thatched house in the village.  Wheaton Aston was famous for the quality of its hay, and is also the most northerly site where the Snakes Head Fritillary, locally known as the Folfalarum, grows.
 
The earliest record of Lapley Parish Council, which included Wheaton Aston, is the signing of the declaration of office by the first six Councillors on 20 December 1894.  Stretton had its own parish council established in 1945, but in 1986 was merged with Lapley to from Lapley and Stretton; Wheaton Aston was added to the title in 1990.  The Parish was twinned with Wheaton, Illinois in March 1990. 
 

Links

 

External Link: Lapley, Stretton and Wheaton Aston Parish Council

 

Contact Details for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk

 

Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests and Other Interests

 
 
St JohnsThe Bradford Arms
Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N
O P Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov