Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your Council  >  Parish councils  >  Himley Parish Council

 

General Information
Population
Total Population  672 (2004 Estimate)
No. Over 60 36.4%
No. Under 18 12.4%
No. BME Below 2.4%
Indices of Deprivation TBC
Area KM2 2,192
Population Density KM2 0.30
Locality Five (Click for more information)
 Financial Information
Annual Budget  
Annual Precept £2,500.00
Grants Received  
Spending per Resident  
Average Council Tax Band £7.59

 

Himley

 

Himley is a small village and parish on the main Stourbridge-Wolverhampton road, 1½ miles northwest from Kingswinford and 4 miles west from Dudley. There are no shops, post office, or school. The area of the parish is 1,185 acres. The Church, dedicated to St. Michael & All Angels, built in 1764, is a small brick and plaster building, well lighted by large windows characteristic of the period.
 
The name Himley appears in various forms. In Doomsday Book it is spelt Himilie, and elsewhere as Himelilega and Himlele. All versions mean a clearing in a wood where hymele is grown. There is some uncertainty as to what hymele is, but it is either the hop plant or something like it.
 
Two buildings are of historical interest: Himley Hall and Holbeach House. The former, says Mr. Pitt in his Topographical Dictionary, 1817 is the seat of Lord Viscount Dudley & Ward, Lord of the Manors of Sedgley, Himley, Swindon, Kingswinford, and Rowley Regis. In 1946 the Hall was sold and after spending some years as the headquarters of the National Coal Board (Midland Division), it is now owned by Dudley MBC, who use it for events and exhibitions.
 
Holbeach House was involved in the Gunpowder Plot of 1604. Several of the conspirators fled from Stourbridge to Holbeach, pursued by the Sheriff of Worcester ‘With the power and force of the country.’ The fugitives were only forced to appear after fire had been set to part of the house, and from the fact that Catesby was killed outright and three others were fatally wounded, we may assume that they resisted fiercely. Afterwards the Sheriff reported that ‘the rest of that rebellious assembly is dispersed.’ Guy Fawkes never appeared at Holbeach, since he was imprisoned in the Tower of London immediately on his capture on the night of 5th November.
 
Little remains to-day of the blade mills which, according to an 1831 Topographical Dictionary, made Himley locally famous for ‘a peculiar sharpness to edge tools.’
 

The Crooked House pub, on the way to Gornal Wood, is just within the boundary of the parish of Himley. Formerly known as The Glynne Arms, it takes its name from the all too evident effect that mining subsidence has had upon it.

 

Information taken from South Staffordshire Reviewed with the permission of Paul Collins and Craig Walker

 

Link

 

Contact Details for the Parish Chaimen & Clerk
 
Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests and Other Interests
 
Himley Parish Council - Meeting Minutes 2016
 
 
Himley Hall
 
Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N
O P Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov