Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your Council  >  Parish councils  >  Hilton Parish Council
 

General Information

Population
Total Population 225(2004 Estimate)
No. Over 60 15%
No. Under 18 32.9%
No. BME Below 2.4%
Indices of Deprivation  
Area KM2 810
Population Density KM2 0.27
Locality Three (Click for more information)
 Financial Information
Annual Budget  
Annual Precept £6,500.00 (2010/2011)
Grants Received  
Spending per Resident  
Average Council Tax Band £99.12

 

Hilton

 

Hilton was amongst the lands donated to the Monastery at Wolverhampton upon its foundation in 994 by Lady Wulfrun. Hilton Manor House, as Hilton Hall was first known, was constructed by Sir John Swinnerton in the early 14th century. The Swinnertons lived there for two hundred years until Margaret Swinnerton married Henry Vernon in 1547. He was a descendant of Richard de Vernon, who had arrived from Normandy with William the Conqueror in 1066.

 

The Hall, which was rebuilt in 1700, and extensively remodelled in 1830, remained in the Vernon family for 400 years, through 12 generations of Vernons. One such was Admiral Vernon who, in 1739, captured the Spanish stronghold of Porto Bello with only six ships and became famous for this throughout Europe. The Portobello Tower, which stands on the hill fronting the Hall, was erected in his honour.

 

Admiral Vernon was nicknamed ‘Old Grog’ due to the boat cloak he wore habitually, which was made of a rough silk called grogram. In an attempt to stem drunkenness amongst his crews he forbade the serving of raw spirits and ordered that the two half-pint rations of rum or brandy served daily be watered down.

 

This was very unpopular with the seamen of the day, who named the resulting drink ‘Grog’ in his ‘honour.’ Another member of the family who made his mark was Richard Vernon (1726-1800) a horse breeder, trainer and successful jockey. He was a founder member of the Jockey Club and known as ‘Father of the Turf.’ Diomed, one of the horses he bred and trained at Hilton Hall, won the first ever Derby in 1780.

 

Information taken from South Staffordshire Reviewed with the permission of Dr Paul Collins and Craig Walker

 

Link

 

Contact Details for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk
 
Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests and Other Interests
 
Hilton Hall
Portobello Tower
Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N
O P Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov