Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your Council  >  Parish councils  >  Great Wyrley Parish Council

 

General Information
Population
Total Population 10,668 (2004 Estimate)
No. Over 60 18.7%
No. Under 18 24.7%
No. BME  
Indices of Deprivation  
Area KM2 1,664
Population Density KM2 6.41
Locality Three (Click for more information)
 Financial Information
Annual Budget  
Annual Precept £187,165.00 (2010/2011)
Grants Received  
Spending per Resident  
Average Council Tax Band £52.48

 

 

Great Wyrley As It Is Now

 

Great Wyrley Parish Council came into existence in 1894 following the Local Government Act of the same year. One of its first investments must have been the purchase of land for a cemetery in Station Street in Cheslyn Hay. The conveyance is dated 19th May 1896. The conveyance, hand written is not noted for its full stops. Since those days the parish council has seen its role as the main provider of leisure facilities.

 

The parish council provides a community centre, football pitches with changing rooms, childrens' play areas, Skate Park, BMX track, youth shelter, bus shelters and public open space.

 

The Parish Council normally meets on the first Wednesday of each month (bar August) at 7.15, at the Community Centre, Landywood Lane with committee meetings on the second Wednesday

 
 

Brief History of Great Wyrley

 

Great Wyrley is well over 1000 years old. Its name is Saxon in origin derived from Wir leah ‘The Bog Myrtle Glade.’ Wereleia is mentioned in the Doomsday book as land held by the bishop of Chester. William the Conqueror allowed a Wyrley Saxon to remain as the forester of Cannock Chase. Much of the forest was cleared by Tudor times, when oaks were used for fuel and the building of fleets and then the first coal was dug .

 

During the Civil War, Great Wyrley was divided between king and parliament. Ann, the Walsall born daughter of Henry Stone, a Cromwellian General was married to John De Wyrley a Royalist Captain. The 18 and 19th Century brought Wyrley its own industrial revolution based on coal and iron nearby. The canals, roads and railways brought skilled men and materials together. Where they met new factories were built at Church Bridge.

 

Great Wyrley is also infamous for the ‘Wyrley Gang’ who maimed horses and killed them. The local vicars' son, George Edalji was wrongly convicted of the crime. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle became involved in the case and George Edalji was later given a free pardon. To this day no one knows the identity of the Wyrley Gang.

 

Links

 

Contact Details for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk

 
Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests and Other Interests
 
St Marks Church
 
Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N
O P Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov