Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your Council  >  Parish councils  >  Essington Parish Council
 

General Information

Population
Total Population 4,545 (Estimate 2004)
No. Over 60 20.6%
No. Under 18 25.1%
No. BME Below 2.4%
Indices of Deprivation  
Area KM2 3,565
Population Density KM2 1.27
Locality Three (Click for more information)
 Financial Information
Annual Budget £105,000.00
Annual Precept £71,918.00 (2010/2011)
Grants Received £5,000
Spending per Resident £21.50
Average Council Tax Band £46.46

 

Essington

 

Essington for many centuries formed part of Bushbury parish which until 1934 was part of the Cannock Rural District but is now a populous suburb of Wolverhampton. Essington was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1934 when the church of St. John the Evangelist was built as a memorial to the late J.W. Forrest of Holly Bank House. The former iron church with a tower containing one bell was originally served from St. Mary's, Bushbury, but is now a church schoolroom and a social centre. The vicarage is in the gift of trustees. There is all annual dole of £24 for the deserving poor of Essington, Bushbury and, Brewood. The Methodist Chapel was erected in 1883, is of red brick, and will seat 200 persons.
 
Housing development in the parish has been scattered and future planning is a matter of considerable concern to the County Council. The parish covers 3,007 acres but there are several communities mainly based on the main roads that pass through the parish to Walsall, Wednesfield, Willenhall and Wolverhampton. There has been considerable suburban development since 1921, when the population was 2,393. Today the population is well over 3,000 and there is no doubt that, because of its proximity to the large towns, the parish will become more urbanised.
 
Coal, clay, and iron ore have been mined in Essington Wood since the Middle Ages. The coal has been mainly worked out or the mining of it is fraught with great difficulty. Brick and tile making is still carried on to a considerable extent. There are one or two small factories but the majority of residents work outside the parish. Most of the soil formerly belonged to the Vernons of Hilton who have disposed of a considerable amount of land in recent years. The Wyrley and Essington canal which passes through the parish, is now derelict.
 
Information taken from South Staffordshire Reviewed with the permission of Dr Paul Collins and Craig Walker
 

Links

 

External Link: Essington Parish Council

 

Contact Details for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk

 

Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests and Other Interests

 

Essington Hall Farmhouse

St John the Evangelist Church

Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N
O P Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov