||489 (Estimate 2004)
|No. Over 60
|No. Under 18
|Indices of Deprivation
|Population Density KM2
for more information)
|Spending per Resident
|Average Council Tax Band
The parish of Enville lies on the Stourbridge-Bridgnorth road,
about 5½ miles from Stourbridge and 8½ miles southeast of
Bridgnorth. The earliest recorded name of the village was
Efnefeld, and under that name it is entered in Doomsday
The three ancient manors of Enfield, Lutely, and Morf comprise
the present parish. In the twentieth year of William the Conquerer,
Enville (to use the name by which it is now known) was held by a
Saxon, Alric, one of the King’s Thanes, but the great overlord of
this district was William FitzAnsculph.
In the course of time William de Birmingham became possessed
of the manor, and two of his descendants were Rectors of Enville,
namely Roger de Birmingham (1273-1307), and Sir Fulk de Birmingham
(about 1347-1370). In 1422 John Lowe, of Whittington, was lord of
Enville, and was succeeded by his son, Humphrey Lowe, Sheriff of
the County of Stafford, in 1441.
The only daughter and heir of the latter, Eleanor, married
Robert Grey, third son of Reginald, Lord Grey of Ruthin, and it is
recorded that their son Humphrey, in 1484, was the owner of the
Manors which form the present parish of Enville. Since that date
the family of Grey has owned Enville. Enville Hall, which once
boasted its own private racecourse, remains a private house, but it
hosts occasional events each year.
Nearby Four Ashes Hall is available for weddings, receptions,
corporate events and country pursuits.
The church has a Norman nave (about AD 1100) and a Transitional
chancel (built by Roger de Birmingham, AD 1272-1307) and despite
extensive restorations in 1749 and 1871 the distinguishing features
The present ornate tower is a copy of a style often seen in
Somerset, and was built in 1871, when the original tower was taken
down. Evidence of an earlier church on the site is to be found in a
small stone figure of Saxon origin built into the arcading above
the south aisle. Local tradition identifies this carving as a
memorial to Saint Chad, the first Bishop of Lichfield.
It was probably the porch niche figure of the original church.
Above one of the Norman columns of the nave is a stone carving of
eastern origin, probably brought to Enville by crusaders. There are
three crusaders’ tombs in the churchyard, facing the west window.
In the chancel are four beautifully carved miserere stalls.
In the south aisle is an alabaster tomb of fine workmanship,
dated 1559, to the memory of ‘Thomas Grey of Enveld esquier and
Anne his wyfe ...’ Within the altar rails on the north
side of the chancel is the mural tomb of Roger de Birmingham,
Rector of the parish from 1273 to 1307, and who rebuilt the
chancel. In the churchyard stands an ancient cross with broken
shaft, and nearby is a yew tree of unusually fine shape and
Information taken from South Staffordshire Reviewed with
the permission of Paul Collins and Craig Walker
for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk
Register of Disclosable Pecuniary
Interests and Other Interests