Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your Council  >  Parish councils  >  Dunston & Coppenhall Parish Council

 

General Information
Population
Total Population 445 (Estimate 2004)
No. Over 60

28.9% (Coppenhall)

24.8% (Dunston)

No. Under 18

15.5% (Coppenhall)

20.8% (Dunston)

No. BME Below 2.4%
Indices of Deprivation  
Area KM2 2,659
Population Density KM2 0.16
Annual Budget  
Annual Precept £3,570.00 (2010/2011)
Grants Received  
Spending per Resident  
Average Council Tax Band £9.84
Locality One (Click for more information)

 

Dunston & Coppenhall As It Is Now

 

 

Dunston & Coppenhall is a split parish with two small hamlets of similar size and occupants.

Each of the villages has a parish church. St.Leonards in Dunston and St.Lawrence's in Coppenhall.

The parish is mainly rural with very limited facilities, with no shops apart from farm shops, no post office and only one village hall in Dunston.

 

Coppenhall does however share a village hall with neighbouring Hyde Lea, and local residents also make use of the local pub 'The Crown' in Hyde Lea.

 

Brief History of Dunston & Coppenhall

 

"Dunston, a hamlet, township, and chapelry (to Penkridge), two miles north of Penkridge, contains 250 inhabitants, and about 100 acres of land. Mr William Critchley owns 250 acres, and nearly all the rest belongs to the Earl of Lichfield, the lord of the manor",


From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851.


 

Census

The population of Dunston township was as follows:
1801 - 208
1831 - 272
1841 - 250


A surname index of the 1851 census of Dunston township is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surnames Index, Volume 12, Penkridge, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.


 

Church History

 

"The Church of St. Leonard, is a small modern brick edifice, except the tower, which is of stone, and appears very ancient. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Hatherton, and incumency of the Rev. Evan Price, who is also incumbent of Coppenhall",


From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield 1851.


The church of St. Leonard, was a chapelry of Penkridge parish.


 

Church Records

Church of England registers:
The register of St. Leonard commences in 1853. The original registers for the period 1853 - 1952 (Bapts) & 1980-1996 (Mar) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Earlier entries are recorded in the Penkridge parish registers. Bishops Transcripts, 1854-60 (with gaps 1856-7) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.

 

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc..

The chapelrry became part of Penkridge Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834

 

 

Link

 

External Link: Dunston & Coppenhall Parish Council Website

 

Contact details for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk

 

Register of Disclosable Pecuniary and Other Interests

 

St Laurences Church

St Leonards Church

 

Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N
O P Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov