||7,753 (2004 Estimate)
|No. Over 60
|No. Under 18
|Indices of Deprivation
|Population Density KM2
|Spending per Resident
|Average Council Tax Band
for more information)
Brewood & Coven As It Is Now
Situated in the South West of Staffordshire and adjoining
the Shropshire border, Brewood & Coven Parish is currently the
largest in the area in South Staffordshire, covering some 12,500
acres. The Parish has a population of around 7,500 and comprises
four distinctly separate villages and many small hamlets. The A5
forms its northern boundary, the M54 at Coven Heath the
southern, with the western boundary taking in the village of
Bishop's Wood and the eastern extending to part of Four Ashes.
Bishop's Wood is at its highest point, just short of five
hundred feet above sea level and boasts panoramic views taking in
Belvide Reservoir and Cannock Chase. The village comprises of both
old and modern developments, a Church, a first school, a village
hall and a public house.
Brewood is a Conservation Area with its half-timbered
traditional black-and-white style old houses and cottages, lying
alongside dignified houses of the Georgian and Queen Anne period.
Described as one of the jewels in the Crown of South Staffordshire,
the village provides a pleasing selection of shops, public houses,
restaurants, tearooms and take-aways along with schools, churches
and the Jubilee Hall.
The most modern of our four wards, is pleasantly located with
the River Penk and South Staffordshire Union Canal providing
opportunities for a leisurely stroll or boat trip. The village, who
entered and won the Best Kept Village competition for the first
time in 2006, has a modern school, churches, public houses,
restaurants, village hall, allotments for rent and a small shopping
Coven heath straddles the A449, is a mixed development of old
and new property including several mobile home parks. Keen
gardeners are well catered for having a choice of well stocked
nurseries in the vicinity and the opportunity to rent one of the
allotments in Ball Lane.
Brief History Of Brewood & Coven
The boundary of Brewood Parish is of uncertain age but in the
main it is certainly pre-Doomsday, and probably much older still.
The use of Watling Street as the northern boundary suggests that
the Roman road may have been the first significant feature in the
development of the landscape. In the Domesday survey a tentative
estimate of the population of the parish was 490, one of the
highest in the country.
Bishop's Wood is steeped in history. In 1724 it was ''waste
ground called Bishop's Wood'' within the Bishop's Manor of Brewood
and was common pasture for tenants of the manor.Boscobel House and
the famous King Charles Oak tree border the village and are, to
this day, within easy walking distance. To reference ''A Corner of
Old England'', James Penderel Brodhurst, May 12th 1883, ''Brewood
consists of half a dozen streets and a market place. It enjoys the
title of town by reason of the market that was granted to its men
by Henry III six hundred and sixty-two years ago. The market has
disappeared this hundred years, but the lazy, dreamy life of the
old place goes on as always.''
Coven was held by Airlic before the conquest and by Robert de
Stafford at Domesday, which contains the first recorded referenceto
the name. The village hosts a number pointers to a past era: The
Homage dating back to 1679; the sixteenth century timber framed
Grange Farm and the imposing Georgian facade of
Coven Heath is depicted on William Yates' 1775 map of
Staffordshire as heathland, much more extensive in those days than
it is today. An indenture relating to the estate of James
Horden, dated 1801, refers to a windmill being enclosed out of
the common known as Coven Heath.
External Link: Brewood & Coven
for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk
Disclosable Pecuniary Interests and Other Interests