Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your Council  >  Parish councils  >  Bobbington Parish Council

 

General Information
Population
Total Population 536 (Estimate 2004)
No. Over 60 24%
No. Under 18 21.3%
No. BME Below 2.4%
Indices of Deprivation TBC
Area KM2 2,681
Population Density KM2 0.19
 Financial Information
Annual Budget  
Annual Precept £4,000.00 (2010/2011)
Grants Received  
Spending per Resident  
Average Council Tax Band £15.71
Locality Five (Click for more information)

 

 

Bobbington As It Is Now

 

Bobbington is a small rural parish predominantly agricultural in character lying on the County boundary with Shropshire and situated approximately eight miles from the West Midlands conurbation.  With a population of less than 550 it supports a village school, 3 public houses, a Grade II* listed church, a Methodist chapel, a village Hall, Country House Hotel and a Community Post Office.  Also within the parish is a commercial vineyard and winery, garden nurseries, and a local airfield engaged in business, training and recreational flying.  Highgate Common, recently awarded SSSI status, fringes the parish boundary.  The parish contains several houses of historical interest including Bobbington Hall, Blakelands, Bobbington House, and Leaton Hall.

 

 

Brief History Of Bobbington

 

The ancient parish of Bobbington was mentioned in Domesday Book when the population was recorded as 12.  Bobbington, meaning the tun of Bubba’s people, was probably the site of the present village where there was a church by the 13th-century, and the area lay in the Kinver forest.  The listed Grade II* church has a 12th-century north arcade and aisle. 

 

A school was established at White Cross, north east of the village, in 1792 by Hannah and Mary Corbett of Blakelands for 20 boys and 12 girls between the ages of 8 and 15, they were to be chosen from amongst the poorest in the parish. 

 

In 1896 the school, known as the Free School of Hannah and Mary Corbett, or White Cross School, became a public elementary school with the endowment income benefiting the pupils.  In 1941 the Air Ministry opened an airfield at Halfpenny Green for use as a training station and buildings near the edge of the airfield were demolished, notably the timber-framed Gospel Ash Farm at the southern end and then the school buildings at White Cross.  A new school was eventually built next to the Village Hall.

 

Links

 

External Link: Bobbington Parish Council

 

Contact Details for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk

 

Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests and Other Interests

 

 

 

Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N
O P Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov