Search our website
You are here: Home Page  >  Your Council  >  Parish councils  >  Blymhill & Weston-Under-Lizard
 

General Information

Population
Total Population 706 (Estimate 2004)
No. Over 60 23.5%
No. Under 18 20.7%
No. BME Below 2.4%
Indices of Deprivation  
Area KM2 6,760
Population Density KM2 0.10
 Financial Information
Annual Budget  
Annual Precept £4,000.00 (2010/2011)
Grants Received  
Spending per Resident  
Average Council Tax Band £12.48
Locality Two (Click for more information)

 

Blymhill

 

Blymhill stands 6 miles northeast from Shifnal and 6 miles northwest from Brewood. Slightly northeast from Weston-under-Lizard, Blymhill formed part of the Earl of Bradford’s estate and once housed workers from the estate. It contains a number of fine listed buildings. The church is dedicated to St Mary and has 14th century origins. Despite being extensively rebuilt it retains many original features. Under the terms of the Staffordshire Review Order, 1934, parts of the adjoining parishes of Church Eaton and Gnosall were added to Blymhill.
 

Weston-under-Lizard

 

Weston-under-Lizard is a model village standing on Watling Street, 6 miles northwest of Brewood. The ‘Lizard’ is a hill, 2½ miles to the southwest and 480 feet in height. The Hall, a palatial residence, was built by Sir Thomas Wilbraham in 1671 and occupies the site of an ancient manor house, which was in the possession of the de Weston family until 1340. A memorial to one of them, Sir John de Weston and his wife, was incorporated (in the form of kneeling figures) in the 14th century east window of the church, together with their coat-of-arms. Weston Hall is also a possible location for the fictional Blandings Castle in P G Wodehouse’s novels.
 
A church, dedicated to St Andrew, stands in the park. This has 12th century origins but was rebuilt in 1700-01, and restored in 1876. There are a number of interesting features inside, including a carved oak pulpit, with brass sounding board, dating from l702 – the year the Church was substantially rebuilt by Lady Wilbraham. The Perpendicular tower (not rebuilt) contains three bells of pre-Reformation date, two of them being inscribed with the legend ‘Hail, Mary!’ A school was opened in 1873, but private education had been available for at least 40 years beforehand, some of which was supported by the Earl of Bradford. Four almshouses were also built at the expense of Selina, Countess of Bradford, in 1874 for the poor of the parish.
 
Weston Park is open to the public and plays host to a series of weekend events each year between March and November, of which the ‘V’ music festival, held each August, is probably the most famous. The gardens at Weston Park are a good example of an 18th century landscape garden where Capability Brown once worked. The woodland garden has a fine collection of trees, rhododendrons and azaleas with pathways and ponds. The formal gardens include a 19th century Italian Parterre. There is also a Rose walk, which leads to the Deer Park.
 
Information taken from South Staffordshire Reviewed with the permission of Paul Collins and Craig Walker
 

Links

 

Contact Details for the Parish Chairmen & Clerk
 
Register of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests and Other Interests
 
Rate this pageRate this page - 1 / 5Rate this page - 2 / 5Rate this page - 3 / 5Rate this page - 4 / 5Rate this page - 5 / 5
Browse services
A-Z of services
A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N
O P Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
accreditations | South Staffordshire Council 2012 | Privacy policy and Cookies
South Staffordshire Goodlife Website MyPlaceMySay Website Staffordshire Prepared website i54 information website DirectGov